Saturday, February 6, 2010

INKed!

The brother had set up an appointment to get inked last Monday. Since I've never really seen a live tattoo being done on someone apart from those shown on the awesome Miami Ink show with the gorgeous Ami James and talented Chris Garver, the lil' sis and I decided to head down to the tattoo shop to show our support and just check out what really goes on.

It's the brother's second tattoo. The first one was a relatively small and simple one done on his right shoulder blade. This time round, he opted for something slightly bigger on the left side of the chest. I think he really put some thought into this tattoo design....going for a black/grey/ash shaded verison of a Jesus portrait wearing a crown of thorns with a partial side profile of the cross and the 'INRI' script above.

The inking begins

The tattoo artist seemed like a really nice 'Ah beng'. Hahaha, he had this blond mop of hair, had full tattoo sleeves on all four limbs but spoke really good English. My sister and I were pretty amused at his rather excellent command of English. It's just that you stereotypically think of 'Ah bengs' speaking more hokkien and sounding more rough. =)

The sister & I fooling around while waiting...

After a good sitting that lasted somewhere between 4-5 hours, the tattoo was completed. The entire process was exactly what you see on shows like Miami Ink minus all the acting and tv filming touches. I thought the tattoo turned out better than what I initially expected. Kudos to Derrick (the tattoo artist). Even though it was a black/grey tattoo, he did a really good job at highlighting the important features of the portrait and giving it a solemn but gentle touch to the entire design. I like it, although both my parents especially mum still aren't too pleased with what he did.

Just adding the final touches....

Hmmm....I kinda always wanted a tattoo done on the middle of my lower back. Then again, I kinda think I would just chicken out from it. I'm still waiting for the right design to come my way and inspire me, something that will hold a strong meaning and significance since it will be inked permanently on my body. On the other hand, what worries me about getting inked is the aging process coz your skin definitely becomes less supple and the design usually doesn't look as nice as before. Too many considerations to take into account. When the time is right I guess.... think my mum will faint if I told her I was gonna get one!

1 comment:

Susan said...

If u really wanna get a tattoo, just remember don't ever get designs on animal... tribal designs or symbols with meaning is good enough... this is what friends told me when I'm getting my tattoos... ;p