Wednesday, January 27, 2010

You must be kidding me!

Today was the day of the follow up X-ray for the pretty much busted right foot of mine. It was nice that Mum took time off to accompany me down to the hospital for the check-up. Thanks Mum!

Finally, the cast is off! Yay! It felt so good to be able to scratch the right foot again without having to use foreign objects to stuff down the cast... and yes, I can finally take a proper shower without having to wrap a plastic bag over the cast and pop my leg up! However, with every good news.... there's the occasional bad stuff that comes along....

Apparently, apart from the fact that my fibular is kinda out of place, the doc gave an additional diagnosis saying that I suffered a Grade 2-3 sprain. In layman terms, I had a VERY very very bad sprain. Ligament sprains generally go in the order of Grade 1 to 3. So yes, not too good news there. My ligaments have been totally ruptured and completely torn and it's not just to 1 ligament.... I ruptured all 3 ligaments that pretty much hold your ankle up! The calcaneofibular ligament, the anterior talofibular ligament and the medial (deltoid) ligament!

Click here to read more about the grading of ankle sprains.


Go figure which 3 ligaments I tore!

When the doc removed the cast, I couldn't believe how swollen and bruised my ankle was even after 10 days of immobilisation, not to mention, it actually hurt so much more without that added support of the cast. In place of the cast, I'm now wearing a removable guard to help stabilise the ankle joint. It's a laced up guard which I can wear with my shoes...but at the moment, my foot's a tad to swollen to fit in any of my shoes. Coz the ankle guard is so fitting and snug, it provides a really nice sensation of comfort. I can't fully weight bear yet so the crutches will still have to follow me around.

Well you think that's the worse of it? The most important question I had to ask was how long this recovery was gonna take and when I could start getting back into sports. The doc's reply - at least 3 months, well, 2 months if all goes well! He's even asking me to go for physiotherapy sessions which will start in 3 weeks time when the pain and swelling subside!

NOOOOOoooooooooo......

Are you F$^&#@^#@ kidding me???? 3 months? I'm gonna turn into a freaking WHITE BLOB! Looks like it's sayonara to my hope of making it back in time to compete in the biathlon! Bummer!

Well, my 10 day hospitalisation leave officially ends today. Looks like I'm back to the office tmr.... something which I have to go figure now. How the hell am I getting there and back tmr and what to wear and which bag to bring. You see, all these need to be taken into consideration especially when you're moving around on crutches without much assistance! God help me!

Totally ramdom point: I've decided to come up with a new label for my blog posts - Ja's Injuries. Haha.

No comments: