Sunday, January 24, 2010

BUONO!


It was the parent's wedding anniversary yesterday. In celebration of their 27 years of blissful marriage the YEO children decided to have a lunch out - at Buono's Pizza Bar & Italian Restaurant.

Tucked away in the quiet corner of the Serangoon Gardens Estate, I wouldn't have known this diner even existed if not for a fellow blogger's recommendation. I've heard pretty good reviews of this place so decided to give it a go. With my foot in the current state it's in, we hailed a taxi and made our way down... it felt awesome to get out of the house! =)

A simple little restaurant, furnished with solid wooden tables and chairs, wine collection displayed and at the far end, the glass paneled kitchen where you can see the chef prep your pizzas! For starters we were served a basket of fresh garlic bread and decided to go with their recommended Portobello Mushrooms and Rock melon wrapped with Prosciutto. The sister and I really enjoyed the latter dish, the combined sweet and juicy taste from the rock melon together with the smoked salty prosciutto, felt like a tango dance going on in the mouth!

Rock melon wrapped with Prosciutto

Portobello Mushrooms

For mains, Dad had the special of the day which was this Seafood pasta with white wine sauce. The seafood was really generous with baby clam, calamari, crayfish and prawns. Really loved the white wine sauce only because you could actually still taste the white wine flavour at the end, unlike others I've tried where it's totally being drowned out. Mum decided to try the Seafood Ravioli served with a tomato base. I wasn't a big fan of this dish, but credit to the freshness of the seafood stuffing which came along with each bite into the ravioli.

The brother chose the really awesome pasta that I can't remember what it's called...darn! Anyway, it was basically penne pasta served with a wonderful tangy tomato based sauce topped with cherry tomatoes, zucchini and fresh herbs. There was this extra burst of flavor at the end of each mouthful which my brother and I till now have not figured what exactly it's attributed too. Haha. I will try to sus out the exact name of this dish and get back to you!


Finally, the sister and I went with their classic and house special, Buono pizza, a wood fired thin crust pizza topped with a sour cream base, home made sausages, mozzarella cheese and fresh rockets. I'm a huge fan of wood fired thin crusted pizzas and this probably tops it thus far. Definitely value of money and a tummy filler as well (if sharing between two)!

Buono pizza!!! Awesomeness!

By the time dessert came round, we were all pretty satisfied, except for the little sister who was really drawn to the Lava cake. Not too bad, but not fantastic either. I've tasted better ones. Nonetheless, the cake was served nice, spongy and warm and the chocolate oozed out perfectly! Not forgetting the vanilla gelato!

Overall, a really nice meal with the family at a pretty nice restaurant. I think I went in there with a really high expectation but I honestly think only the pizza lived up to it. I think the dinner ambiance would be nicer and probably better for more couple-ish dates rather than family. Just my take on it. =)

27 Lichfield Road S(556847)
Serangoon Garden Estate
Tel: 6733 5646
http://www.buonopizzabar.com/

Opening Hours:
Mon to Sat: 12noon - 2:30pm, 6pm - 10:30pm
Sun: 10am - 2:30pm, 6pm - 10:30pm


Ja's Rating: 7.5/10

No comments: