Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Apple Pie Madness

I'm not a big fan of pastries and fancy sweet desserts. However, I've always had a soft spot for a good slice of heavenly apple pie.

I like mine warmed up with sweet chunky apple fillings balanced with off with cinnamon spice. It makes it all better when served with a huge scoop of old fashion vanilla ice cream - simply heavenly! The most important thing to me... The Crust! A good and yummy crust makes all the difference to a good apple pie dessert. It can't be too hard, yet not too flaky. The amount of butter is important to give that aromatic fragrance and creamy taste in one's mouth.

I remember my favourite apple pie came from this small bakery near the Parkway Parade Hawker Center. Mum used to buy a whole pie for the family and that was something I truly enjoyed eating while growing up. Not too sure where the bakery has moved to since.

Anyway, I decided to test my baking skills by baking a whole apple pie from scratch! I was pretty hesitant especially when making the crust. I think watching all that Jaime Oliver cooking shows actually helped quite a bit with the tips he provides. I must say the final product came out of the oven better than expected. It sure did surpass my expectations although I must admit that a little more work needs to go into improving the apple filling. I might have over estimated the intense flavour of the nutmeg powder, hence giving a slightly more sour aftertaste to the apple filling. Nonetheless, considering its my first attempt, I give myself 8 out of 10 for effort! =) I'll prob tweak the recipe a little the next time I make it. Success!

No comments: